These rules may be called the “Telangana State prohibition of ragging in all educational institutions rules -2002
In these rules unless the context other requires :-
- “Act” includes words either spoken or written or signs are sounds are gestures are visible representation.
- “Education Institutions” ,means and include a college or other institution by what ever name called, caring on the activity or imparting education therein
- (either exclusively or among other activities) and includes an orphanage or boarding home or hostel or tutorial institution or other premises attached thereto .
- “Government” means the state Government of Telangana.
- “Notification” means notification published in Telangana gazetted and the work”notified” shall be construed accordingly.
- ‘Ragging’ means doing an act which causes or is likely to cause insult or annoyance of fear or apprehension or threat of intimidation or outrange if modesty or injury to a student;
- “Student” means a person who is admitted into an education institution and whose name is and lawfully borne on the attendance register thereof. All words and expression used but not defined as these rules have meaning assigned to them under AP Education Act, 1982 or Indian penal code 1860 as the case may be.
Prohibition of ragging:-
- Ragging is prohibited within are out side of any educational Institution in the state.
- The principal/ Head of the institution shall obtain an undertaking in writing from the students /parents at the time of admission, that the shall not resort to ragging inside or outside the institution.
- Full publicity should be given to the punishment for ragging through open circulars, suitable posters, colleges and hostel premises etc., by the principal/ Head of the Institutions.
- The principal/ Head of the institution shall constitute anti ragging squads involving teachers and students to prevent ragging.
- The Head of the institution shall large a criminal case against students resorted to ragging for taking action as mentioned in Telangana Prohibition of Ragging Act, 1997 (AP Act No. 26 of 1997) Certain of the guide lines to prevent ragging in educational institution all illustrated in the annexure to these rules.
Responsibility of the head of the Institution:
- At the commencement of the academic session, the institutions should constitute proctorial committee consisting of senior facility members and hostel authorities like the warden and a few responsible senior students.
- To keep 3 continuous watch and vigil over ragging so as to prevent its occurrence and recurrence
- To promptly deal the incidents of ragging brought to its notice and summarily punish the guilty either by it self or by putting forth its finding / Recommendation / Suggestions before the authority competent to take decision. All vulnerable location shall be identified and specially watched.
- The local community and the students in particular must be made aware of dehumanizing effect of ragging inherent in its perversity. Posters, notice boards and sign-boards- wherever necessary, may be used for the purpose.
- Failure to prevent ragging shall be construed as an act of negligence in maintaining discipline in the institution on the part of the management, the principal and the persons in authority of the institution. Similar responsibility shall be liable to be fixed on hostel wardens/ Superintendents.
- Whenever any student complains of ragging to the head of the Educational institution such head or manger shall enquire into the same for with and if the complaint is prima facie found true, shall suspend the student or students complained against for such period as may be deemed necessary,
- The decision of the head of the institution or the person responsible for the Management of the educational institution is final.
- If an institution fails to curb ragging. The person responsible for the management of the educational institution is final such time as achieves the same. The University shall consider disaffiliating a college or institutions failing to curb ragging. All Universities shall bring these guidelines to the notice of all educational institutions under their control and jurisdiction. Publicity also be given by issuing press notes in public interest by University.
Penalty For Ragging:
- Whoever with the intention of causing ragging or with the knowledge that he is likely by such act to cause ragging. Commits or a ragging shall be punishable as per Telangana Prohibition of Ragging Act, 1997 – ( Act 26 of 1997)
- The students convicted of an offence under section 4 of Telangana Prohibition Act, (Act 26 of 1997) and punished imprisonment for a term shall be dismissed from the educational institution.
- The student convicted of an offence under section 4 of Telangana prohibition of Ragging Act, 1997, and punished imprisonment for a term to more than six months shall no be admitted in any other educational institution.
- Any student dismissed from a college for ragging should be debarred from seeking admission in any other course of study in college/University located in the state.
- Incase of the students who involved in ragging, there shall be an embossment on his marks cards and other academic certificate bold letters which cannot be obliterated that he had indulged in-ragging and had conducted himself in a manner unbecoming.